Russ -

Steve, you mentioned Lamarkian evolution. I'd be very interested to find out more about some of your daughter's examples.
This was on a long drive from NM to OR last Thanksgiving... in the course of about 30 hours of driving we talked about a LOT of things.

I am pretty sure this first exmaple is merely "neo-Lamarckian" or "Lamarckianesque" as they only applied to the single next generation. The germline of the child does not carry the changes, although if the child experiences the same conditions the parent did, the same epigenetic mechanisms would be in effect in the subsequent generation. This example had to to do with Long Term Potentiation (a feature of neural connectivity). What surprised me most was that this particular example involved the female/mother/eggs which are not manufactured "on the fly". It seems more likely that the father/male/sperm would be prone to this type of effect? There may have been two sub-examples, one about memory and one about "bad mothering"?

A more Lamarckian example was, I think, in Roundworms and involved RNA interference. The result (minus the details) was something like hereditible immunity.

A parallel example I *can* remember was the case of Tasmanian Devils and what is known as DFTD for Devil Facial Tumor Disease. Apparently it is an *infectuous* cancer (non-viral, meaning it isn't about a virus transferring from one host to another, then causing cancer). A cancerous cell from one individual literally becomes part of the other individual's organism... like an accidental organ donation or skin graft. Apparently the Devils are prone to lots of scrapping with each other and when one with a tumor on it's face scraps with one without, a cancerous cell (or cells) can get transferred to from the skin of one to the other and it can in fact 'graft' right into the epithelial layer. I don't know if this is more common/likely because it is cancerous, or if Devils were already exchanging skin cells before this cancer emerged?

The point of this Tasmanian Devil example is that it is as unexpected (to me anyway) as examples of Lamarckian evolution would be.
/-- Russ Abbott/
/  Professor, Computer Science/
/  California State University, Los Angeles/

/ My paper on how the Fed can fix the economy: ssrn.com/abstract=1977688 <http://ssrn.com/abstract=1977688>/
/  Google voice: 747-/999-5105
Google+: plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/ <https://plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/> / vita: /sites.google.com/site/russabbott/ <http://sites.google.com/site/russabbott/>
CS Wiki <http://cs.calstatela.edu/wiki/> and the courses I teach