It seems strange to me that Kauffman would focus on cause. (I'll admit that
I got that from just looking at the start of the paper. Perhaps he goes in
a different direction.) Science really doesn't think in terms of causes. As
I understand it science thinks in terms of forces, particles, etc., and
equations that relate them, but not causes. This is especially noticeable
when considering that the equations work forwards and backwards. If one
wants to think in terms of a "forward" (in time) cause that implies a
parallel "backward" (in time)  cause, which makes the whole cause notion
much less useful.

Steve, you mentioned Lamarkian evolution. I'd be very interested to find
out more about some of your daughter's examples.

*-- Russ Abbott*
***  Professor, Computer Science*
*  California State University, Los Angeles*

*  My paper on how the Fed can fix the economy: ssrn.com/abstract=1977688*
*  Google voice: 747-*999-5105
  Google+: plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/
*  vita:  *sites.google.com/site/russabbott/
  CS Wiki <http://cs.calstatela.edu/wiki/> and the courses I teach