I think the distinction is about *confirmation bias*?

If you assume that placebo effects are in some way *bad* and that we need to seek ways to predict their effect waning or seek to determine when and how to "burst the placebo bubble" most gently then that is what we will find... examples of where placebo effects diminish and local minima where bursting will do least harm. We won't find the cases where placebo is sufficient for relief/recovery nor will we find ways to *maximize* it's effects.

Of course, the opposite is true. If we seek *only* to maximize placebo effects, we can easily fall into the trap of believing that placebo is always a good thing, etc. and overlook the larger context where it might not always be so (allowing gangrene to set in while rinsing the wound with holy water).

There is no lack of work having been done clinically and scientifically around the "placebo effect", though I'm sure it's application and refinement in more esoteric circumstances has no limit.

I think the "woo" question is significantly about *human bias* in the scientific community. We *know* there is bias in the "woo" community but just repeatedly pointing that out is not the same as looking in a mirror for where the scientific community has conspired with itself to fashion and wear blinders.

- Steve