Steve Smith wrote at 04/12/2013 01:42 PM:
>> The aphorism about models that maps directly to "the map is not the
>> territory" is "all models are always wrong".
> I guess I thought that *was* the *main* point of "all models are wrong,
> some are useful"...

Maybe that was the _intention_.  But the pragmatic result is modeling
opportunism.  "Yeah, sure my model's wrong.  So what.  It's useful in
this context."

Now if that were _actually_ the case, then I'd be OK with it.  But what
usually turns out is that it's not useful in that context.  It's only
useful by that person in that context (or whatever other context that
person decides to exploit by vaguely mapping the previous context to the
next context).  In short, that aphorism "all models are wrong, some are
useful" opened modeling up to snake oil salesmen.

You can see this because most models do not lay out what use cases they
address at all.  They are almost always inextricably tied to the
modeler, not the context.

However, if you look at the modeling trajectory, the revision history,
or the suite of models surrounding any one model, you can begin to grok
the context, the use cases, independent of the modeler(s).

I.e. no individual model is useful.  Only model constellations are useful.

--
=><= glen e. p. ropella
I have gazed beyond today