In an economics class we watched a video of Malcolm Gladwell at a TED talk
relating the commercial history of spaghetti sauces, and demonstrating how
an individual in the industry (I forget his name) changed the reigning
paradigm from "finding the perfect spaghetti sauce" to "seeing what areas
of preference of taste, texture, and so on people tend to cluster around,
and then creating multiple varieties that offer the consumer a choice".
Then we watched a different TED talk about how choice could be paralyzing,
but it goes to show that there is a case where a non-convergence strategy
was at least temporarily or partially successful compared to the
convergence case.
-Arlo James Barnes