Merle,

I am sure we CAN’T figure it out without your help as a “emergentist”.   The
damage done by discrimination is a great example of non-zero-sum losses.  The
problem is similar to the problem of inequality of opportunity generally.  The
attractor is for the children of better-off people to be better-off and for
better-off children to become better-off adults and have better-off children.
As an example I give you the Wood-Gormely [elementary] school here in Santa Fe,
which has a richer educational program because the parents throw resources and
time at it.  And, I assume, simply because it has an aura of a place where
Parents give a damn.  Thus, despite being a Public School, it becomes by virtue
of these investments of time and resources and energy, a “better” public
school.  To deprive all parents of the possibility of investing in the school
their kid goes to is to deprive all schools of something essential; but the
possibility of such investment leads inevitably to the genealogical flow of
social benefits.  Which is why we have to revive the notion of social Democracy
in this poor sad country of ours.

FRIAMMERS could be crucial to such a discussion, if only by virtue of having
the conceptual tool of the “attractor” at our disposal.  In complexity terms,
what is it that social democracies do?  Is it basin filling?

Take care,

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University