Nick,

There are several public schools in Santa Fe where more than 100 children
go "home" each night to the back of a truck or car, or to a tent in the
S.F. National Forest.  Their families are homeless.  We are looking into
how to open the schools at night for meals and a safe place to sleep.  I'll
be stunned if it can happen, but what the hell.

Have you seen the latest research on how increasingly impossible it is to
move from one class to another in America?  You were so right in your post
above.  Born into working class, marry within working class, raise working
class children, they marry working class spouses, etc.   Occasional
breakthrough, but those cases are for statistical purposes anecdotal.  A
suite of complex variables, but certainly no adaptation here.

Interesting birds at my feeder.  Want to go for a walk?