On 06/26/2015 02:55 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
Are  there not more and less risky sources?   If you have source that provides
you with high-quality, predictive information, over and over and they are
right, should not that individual be allowed less scrutiny than a person that
has no track record, or a bad track record?   Given finite attention, doesn't a
person have to decide what to scrutinize, and what to let slide?

Yes.  But you're not talking about the same thing, I think.  When someone says something like "People
normally trust online content", they're not talking about a continuum or spectrum of trust.  They're
talking about a binary predicate.  That person could have made a more refined statement like "People
tend to trust online content from sources they find mostly trustworthy."  But they would not have said
that, I think, because the generalization being made is more like "People are not skeptical enough of
online content."  It's the _enough_ that addresses your point.

A similar problem adheres to the word "skeptical".  I wear that word as a badge.  But the recent
synonymizing of skepticism with denialism has me worried.  I can no longer say "I'm an AGW skeptic"
because people hear "I'm an AGW denier", which I'm not.  So, skeptical() has also become boolean,
like trust().

If those words weren't being [re]defined in that way, then you'd be right.  I could say,
for example, "I trust Fox News to a given extent" ... and I could say it with a
straight face.

That person also could have said something like "People have diverse methods for deciding what
online content to trust", which would also been more useful.  It would imply that some of us
are gullible and some of us are skeptical.  But I think what they really meant was "People are
not very diverse in deciding what online content to trust.  They simply believe what they see
without any scrutiny."  And, worse, the article's and project's very existence is implying
that it's OK to be gullible, we'll just clamp down on these evil sources of [dm]isinformation for
you.  You just go on believing whatever you see without any scrutiny.

--
⇔ glen