From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of glen ep ropella
Sent: Saturday, June 27, 2015 12:12 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] [ SPAM ] where is the real threat?

On 06/26/2015 04:36 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> CBS or Comcast cover that, but also the evening news.  In various
situations such conglomerates may find it in their interest to present
information in ways that benefit their bottom line, even to audiences that
are above the least common denominator.   Even if their news programs are
credible and honest most of the time, it's exceptional times where their
reputation can be monetized.  These situations could plausibly impact people
as much as propaganda.

Another good point that argues to the same conclusion, because anyone who
succumbs to flipping the trust bit opens themselves up to that sort of
creeping exploitation.  That slow, imperceptible programming probably has
_way_ more impact than the relatively episodic nature of propaganda.

On 06/27/2015 06:50 AM, Nick Thompson wrote:> Glen,
> Don't the bulk of non-zero sum gains arise from trust?
> see MOTH, for instance.

No.  I think the bulk of non-zero sum gains are a result of co-evolution of
competing scrutiny, the exploitation of niches the players stumbled upon
together.  I.e. they're really zero-sum games where the externalities aren't
recognized by the players.  And in that sense, if it is trust that prevents
them from recognizing the externalities, then trust is tantamount to
ignorance.