Human behaviour is human behaviour and it has not changed in 50,000+ years.
Humans act in their own self-interest at many levels - see Maslow's Hierarch of
Needs.  The purpose of civilization is to allow humans to behave the way they
will behave with as little destructive collateral effects as possible.
Sometimes, the structures of a society and government are enough to control the
behaviour - sometimes more force is necessary.  The key is to apply as little
force as is necessary and to be perceived as applying the force fairly (not
necessarily equally).

  Unfortunately, society and government are made up of humans and they will
find ways to use what power is allotted to them by other humans in ways that
are advantageous to themselves.  History shows that no matter how idealistic
and utopian the original goal of a society or government it will be changed by
the humans in charge to give themselves advantage.  The purpose of the US
constitution is to pit these humans against each other so that their pursuit of
self-interest will be in conflict with others in government.  The intent of the
writers was that each group would prevent the others from gaining enough power
to be destructive - thus the separation of powers into three branches of
government.

  Humans also tend to form groups and place the survival of the group as more
important than the survival of other groups.  When the group rises to the
status of a nation-state or boundary-crossing movement (usually religious), the
groups can get into conflict.  This is a fact of the human condition.  The best
prepared group will survive these conflicts.  War games are one of the methods
of preparing.  I understand your plea  and I sympathize - but history proves
that we can't all just get along.

Ray Parks