I would postulate that, especially in the last 200 years, communication has
been a significant or, possibly, most significant agent of change in terms of
violence.  Even in the prestate societies (whatever that means), some if not
most people would not see a violent death or the results - 500 per 100,000
means you would have had a 0.5% chance, all things being equal.  As people
collected together into larger communities and, eventually, states/countries,
the all things being equal would change - even if you didn't see the violent
death you heard about it.

In the last 200 years, there has been a significant change in communication.
Knowledge of violent death has become increasingly accessible.  Early
telegraphs and newspapers of the early 19th Century showed violent deaths to
more people than had ever previously seen it or heard about it through oral
communication.  Henry Crabb Robinson, for example, contributed war news from
Napoleons Spanish and German campaigns to The Times of London.  With the advent
of wired telegraphy, violent death literally came home to people.  William
Howard Russell was able to send his dispatches to The Times from the Crimean
War via submarine cable to Varna, Bulgaria, and from there through French
circuits to Austria in weeks after battles.  People at home in England were
exposed to violent death in the war zone in a relatively short time and in more
detail.  The addition of photography made violent death during the US War
Between the States more real to the folks back on the farm - real pictures of
real death along with written accounts were delivered within days of
occurrence.  The trend has only continued, with movies (who remembers the
newsreels at the cinema?), radio, television, and now Internet videos bringing
violent death to viewers in near real-time.

I postulate that the effect of seeing and hearing of violence more often and in
greater and greater detail has led to the reluctance of committing violence.
Presumably, prestate societies had on the order of 1000 or so people involved
with the 500 per 100,000 violent deaths.  As more people saw or heard about
violent deaths in graphic detail (rather than a sterile announcement), that
number of people has increased.  Nowadays, I would expect the number of people
who have seen the details of violent death to be on the order of 10,000 out of
that 100,000, even though the number of such deaths has decreased.

In my personal experience, people who have seen (or, especially, caused)
violent death are reluctant to cause it again.  Thus, my hypothesis that
exposure to violent death through improved communications is a major factor in
the reduction in the rate of violent death.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Old-Timer
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov<mailto:rcpa...@sandia.gov>
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov<mailto:rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov> (send
NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov<mailto:dopa...@doe.ic.gov> (send NIPR reminder)