On 05/27/2016 09:15 AM, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:
> I like running FriCAS within Emacs, using fricas.el.  However, on my screen
> (which is an HiDPI retina screen), there are two issues:
>
>  1. The output is too tiny to read
>  2. Long lines aren't broken.
>
> The breqn.sty package could be used to automatically break long lines, but I
> don't know how to include it so that it works.

There are some commits that remove tex.spad and replace it by my own
version see https://github.com/hemmecke/fricas/commits/mathjax.
It basically starts with "new TexFormat (outputs LaTeX)".

There is also code to output in 1D format and for mathjax output. The
mathjax stuff is interesting if one runs fricas with the jupyter
notebook frontend.

See
https://github.com/nilqed/fricas_jupyter
or (for runnig a docker image)
https://github.com/nilqed/fricas_docker

> As an example, try
>
> integrate(sqrt(x^2+1)/(x^4+1), x)

That's a particular nasty expression. MathJax shows a pretty wide
formula, but still readable.

I'm not sure how breqn.sty deals with it. I've used breqn for the
formulas in the AXIOM-Book (http://fricas.github.io/book.pdf), but breqn
doesn't always give the prettiest result. (Look, for example, at breqn's
inability to break big fractions in Section 0.1.)

One might use my version of tex.spad together with fricas.el and
breqn.sty. I haven't put that together, because I don't use latex
rendering at the moment and currently anyway rather use Paul Onion's
axiom-mode which comes without latex rendering as far as I know.

https://bitbucket.org/pdo/axiom-environment/

Ralf