>On Thursday, May 30, 2002, at 12:01  PM, Remy Davison wrote:
>
>> Not quite. Apple made available the full Service Source CDs commercially
>> available a year or so back for a few hundred bucks the set. They're
>> freely available on ebay and elsewhere. What they were doing was widening
>> the availability of Apple-knowledgeable techs, who did Mac repairs, but
>> were never going to bother to become certified techs (I've seen the
>> exams, they're damn difficult! You really have to be a hardware engineer
>> - Kyle, are you one?).
>
>An engineer? Hardly..... you just have to know the basics about how
>electronics work and have a lot of problem solving skills.

Hm, I might be thinking of more tech documentation - esp. with
LaserWriter docs I've seen - which had some pretty serious ROM mounting
stuff involved (and if you stuffed it up you had to replace the mobo and
start again). Something rather more than Service Source which requires
usually 2 screwdrivers, an antistatic strap and a Torx T8.

Cheers,

RD.

Remy Davison
Contributing Editor/News Editor, Insanely-Great Mac
<http://www.insanely-great.com> mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
RD's PowerBook page: <http://www.macpowerbook.com>