On Friday, May 31, 2002, at 12:19  AM, Dyna wrote:

>       Apple seems to think they'll force me to lay out a couple
> grand for a new PowerBook every 3 years. I don't reward such
> banditry, and will by my next computer elsewhere. If Apple had
> treated me better I'd buy a new PowerBook every 5 years- instead
> their greed has completely lost me as a customer.

No one's stopping you from going to a Service Provider and letting them
fix it. You needn't shell out for a new powerbook if you don't want to.
Big difference between your motorcycle and your powerbook: it's going to
be DECADES before your motorcycle is obsolete. Many many MANY decades.
Hell, you'll probably run out of places to buy or find parts before your
motorcycle is obsolete. Your PowerBook, on the other hand, has a much
shorter life span. If you're good to a computer, and upgrade it, MAYBE you
can get a single decade of usefulness out of it, and in many cases that's
stretching it.

Two big things: I have access to Service Source, and believe me, it's not
THAT big of a deal. If you're technical enough to be self-servicing a
motorcycle and a ham radio, Service Source isn't going to be a big help to
you; all it does is show you how to take the thing apart and put it back
together, it doesn't show you how to fix your motherboard with a soldering
iron, nor does it give you any information that would allow you to figure
it out.

Similarly, I'm betting your motorcycle manual doesn't show you how to
disassemble the starter, machine new gears/sprockets, and put it back
together.... at least, the manual for my 1963 Ford Falcon doesn't.

Comparative to a car or motorcycle, computers ARE throw-away items. You
use them until their usefulness runs out, then you buy a new one. This is
not unique to Macs; my LC II is about as useful to me today as my TRS-80
was when I bought the LC II; that is, it's not. Motorcycles and cars,
however, probably won't be obsoleted in your lifetime OR your children's.