On 6/2/02 6:00 AM, "Dan Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And
> why did it expire? Because Apple rejected renewal notices from MacSlash's
> registrar as spam.

No - it expired because MacSlash wasn't paying enough attention to it's
business.

MacSlash shouldn't need Dotster to remind them their domain is coming up for
renewal.

> Makes you want to think twice about using a mac.com
> email address for anything business related.

No one should use any free service for important business.

> (For the record, Apple
> didn't tell users when they signed up that email was filtered, so Ben
> should have had every reason to expect messages from his registrar to
> reach him.)

No he shouldn't if for no other reason that Mac.com has proven itself to be
*very* flaky and inconsistent. Continuing to use a service that is known to
be unreliable is not good business.

> Regardless, I think it's unconscionable for a registrar to make an active
> domain name available immediately upon expiration.

I disagree. The onus is where it should be - on the domain name holder.
Dotster is simply doing what it is supposed to do - selling domains to those
that want them. From Dotster's point of view, MacSlash no longer wanted
their domain so they resold it.

>  There should be some
> sort of grace period during which they attempt to use the owner's snail
> mail address or phone number -- or even visit the site in an attempt to
> contact them.

And how long should that grace period be? A day? Week? 6 months?

And how many people don't fill in their snail mail address or phone number
when filling out the registration information? Besides, mailing of phoning
would be an extra cost which would get passed on to the consumer.

> BTW, after following this mess, I renewed lowendmac.com for the next five
> years with my registrar (AITDomains.com) -- even though it wasn't coming
> up for renewal until August. Far better safe than sorry in this case.

Very wise move and I hope other domain registrants learn the same lesson
from this.

Shawn King
On this week's YML:
Digital Forest, MacMarines & Chris Breen!
http://www.yourmaclife.com