Revision here!
I was just able to restart the Pismo via battery power. I'm offline line
without AC power as I write this.
I immediately got a warning about not having much time left on the
battery and that sleep was imminent. In fact, the battery time display
indicates only 49 minutes available. Really low, considering that the
battery should be fully charged from being fed AC power all the time (I
almost never use it with the battery).
Can it be that when connected via the AC adaptor, even when shutdown,
the Pismo's hard drive is still working away?