>what i find interesting, is that there is a program (coded for linux)
>called "maconlinux" (www.maconlinux.org) which allows you to run macos,
>inside linux at full speed - no emulation, it runs directly on the
>processor. why cant apple create something similar, for their own OS,
>on their own hardware?
>the people that made maconlinux REALLY need to get a job at apple.
>im considering throwing debian on my ibook500 just to give maconlinux a
>whirl.......the only problem im having, is...........finding a reason
>to waste my ibook on linux.

Classic does just about the same thing. I use classic apps in OS X
all day long on marginally adequate hardware (a 350 imac and a 233
powerbook) and they respond just as they used to in "real" OS 9.
Whichever the os one uses, applications should not address hardware
directly, but rather use the services provided by the os. I'm not
familiar with the intricacies of the classic layer, but I think it
basically reroutes some os calls through the appropriate X routines.
You don't want word (or any other app) to crash the whole machine.
  But you are not emulating the whole architecture on software either
(iiuc), as is the case with vpc (otherwise, classic would be *a lot*
slower than real os 9, which is not the case). For that matter, no
applications, either Classic or native X, can have unrestricted
hardware access.

Luis