On Tuesday, October 22, 2002, at 10:48 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:
> For simple programs; command-line things that don't make reference to a
> huge number of different libraries, or include all of their C-code
> themselves, and don't use *any* libs, the promise of 'Run everywhere'
> does hold true, still.
>
>   It's just that things like GUI interfaces, high-level API's and such
> simply don't hold to the standard 'recompile and run everywhere'
> philosophy that guided the origins of Unix. (K&R  simply wanted to
> retain a stable development environment amongst all the hand-me-down
> systems that  they were scrounging.) They are complex pieces of
> programming, and absent a universally accepted standard, don't
> interoperate all that well.
>
> Java comes closer to that ideal than Unix now, but even it isn't
> perfect.
>

>> --
> Wherever you go, there you are.
>
> Bruce Johnson

Bruce:
Thanks for the info.
So there's not yet been an economic incentive to make a a platform
independent? standard? (Am I wording this correctly?)
Some would say the best hope for this is already Windows, others the
promise of Linux being adopted as an alternative?
I love Apple hardware (except for the mouse). Could it run Windows
software if it were recompiled? Is this what programs like Virtual PC
are actually doing, recompiling the software for a mac machine?
It seems that although Apple's niche in the entertainment market is
getting stronger, worldwide Apple is a rare machine...even rarer than in
the USA. (I know the Japanese and European markets exist)
Donald

Send list messages to:  <mailto:G-Books@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:G-Books-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>