On Monday, October 21, 2002, at 06:14 PM, Donald Keenan wrote:

> PS Speaking of OSes, I'm reading a "History of Unix for Dummies" kind
> of
> article for my web development class. It suggests that Unix held or has
> the promise of running on any kind of computer. What is being done to
> OS
> X to make its Unix code machine specific?

Well, that was an oversimplification.   Unix (or some unix-ish variant)
pretty much *does* run on any kind of computer (capable of running it,
that is.)

While GNU's Not Unix in it's famous recursion, a better definition s
GNU's not a proprietary Unix. For all intents and purposes Linux, BSD
(which is the basis for Darwin, and stands for Berkeley Standard
Distribution, one of the earliest available Unix variants), Darwin,
Xenix, etc etc are, in fact all some form or another of the OS called
Unix.

In the Beginning, Kernigan and Ritchie envisioned a universal operating
system, and LO it was good.  They worked in an era where pretty much
every single brand of computer (or model, in fact) was radically
different. They aimed for a Single OS to work on all of them.

It was ported to all manner of hardware, but it was a simple OS, with
few bells and whistles, but it worked. A program could be run on a new
machine simply by recompiling it.

Then <insert ominous thunder FX> AT&T DID allow Berkeley to tinker with
the Source Code and thus the first Great Schism was born: BSD vs
SystemV.  Unix started to diverge from itself.

You had SystemV programs or BSD programs, SystemV commands which were
identically named, yet confusingly different from BSD commands (both
had the command 'ps' each had *different* parameters.)

  Fast forward through a lot of Old-testamentish begatting and burning
of kith and kine, and you end up with todays situation, where every
supplier of Unix in history has modified it slightly and tweaked it
here and there, (or done horrible Frankensteinian experiments on it
like HP's HP/UX which was a weird cobbled together thing made from bits
of HP's dead System V version, and Apollo's graverobbed BSD version.
Shudder. I HATE HP/UX!).

Along the line, the original vision of a simple OS portable to all
manner of systems, yet running the same on each has gone pretty much by
the wayside.

The main strains today are not BSD vs System V, but Linux vs BSD (also
vs Linux vs Linux vs Linux...etc).

We used to have a sign above our server 'rack' (back then, just a table
with 5 or 6 machines on it) that said 'You are in a maze of twisty
little Unices, all slightly different' ;-)

For simple programs; command-line things that don't make reference to a
huge number of different libraries, or include all of their C-code
themselves, and don't use *any* libs, the promise of 'Run everywhere'
does hold true, still.

  It's just that things like GUI interfaces, high-level API's and such
simply don't hold to the standard 'recompile and run everywhere'
philosophy that guided the origins of Unix. (K&R  simply wanted to
retain a stable development environment amongst all the hand-me-down
systems that  they were scrounging.) They are complex pieces of
programming, and absent a universally accepted standard, don't
interoperate all that well.

Java comes closer to that ideal than Unix now, but even it isn't
perfect.

> --
Wherever you go, there you are.

Bruce Johnson