On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 08:10 PM, |n|i|c|k| wrote:

I know that Mac OS X keeps a lot of settings into cache files. Maybe one
became corrupted? I had a problem a few months ago where selecting a buddy
or the buddy list menu item from the iChat menu wouldn't launch the iChat
application anymore. I found someone with a similar problem and the cure was
to delete one of the system cache used by OS X. There is a freeware that can
delete those caches for you. I think the name is 'Cache Cleaner'. It's free
and I used it a few times without any problem. If you haven't done any
cleaning in a little while, give it a shot, but make sure you take note of
the available space on your hard disk before. You'll be amazed by the space
you will likely recover (close to 1 GB for me the first time I used it)!

-Laurent.

This program wont delete important caches? or ones that are still usefull? I don't know how it decides what does and what doesn't work....but if it worked fine for you I might as well give it a try...where do I get it?

Caches are designed to be deleted by definitions, nuking them all should cause no problems at all.

Have you tried making some changes to the monitor settings and changing it back? That would re-do whatever prefs file OSX uses to store these settings, (though default monitor settings might be in the PRAM, in which case a zap would be in order.)

--
"Wherever you go, there you are." - B. Banzai, Ph.D.
Bruce Johnson