Lewin Edwards wrote:
>I just noticed that my Pismo has about 1/2" of play in the LCD hinge
>(measured at the free edge of the display). Is this about normal? I
>know there are horror stories about Wallstreet in particular. I opened
>the top part of the case and checked the clutch components, they all
>seem to be in order (no loose pieces or obviously broken components)
>and the screws are tight. It seems like the clutch itself has this much
>play.
That seems about par for the course, among my 2 Pismos and 2 Lombards the
play varies between less than half an inch to nearly an inch. The
Pismo/Lombard clutch design is substantially the same as that of the
Wallstreet series, but with a bit sturdier construction and less
resistance to movement. As I've not heard of any instances of
Lombard/Pismo hinge clutches failing, I'd wager it's much less of a
problem and not something over which to worry. My experience is limited
though, so that's absolutely NOT gospel.

Reell Precision Manufacturing made all of Apple's hinges I've seen so far:
<http://www.reell.com/>

Here's their 7mm hinge, which (as near as I can tell) is the
closest-to-G3-PB-hinges standard product they offer. In the photo
illustrating this page the hinge pin is captured in the lefthand part and
the clutchpack is captured in the righthand part.
<http://www.reell.com/7mm.htm>

The Wallstreet is the earliest 'Book I've seen using this clutch design.
The 3400 and earlier use a helical spring wrapped around a steel rod,
moving the display opens the spring slightly allowing movement. That
spring also explains why when positioning an older 'Books display you
need to push the display slightly beyond where you wish it to end up,
when you release it, it springs back a little.

In contrast, Wallstreet/Lombard/Pismo clutches use a steel hinge pin
gripped by a stacked pack of a dozen or so steel clips which are captured
inside a diecast housing. That housing is what fails in Wallstreets, as
the rotating hinge pin tries to turn the captured clips. The force is
concentrated on the outer corners of the housing where the clips are
captured and eventually the housing splits open.

I'd bet the reasons why the bronze models are not affected in the same
way is: 1) (I think) the clip tension is lower on account of the lids
being lighter than the WS models, and 2) Lombard/Pismo have the hinge pin
in the lower part and the clutchpack housing in the upper part (in the
display housing.) That die-casting appears to be a sturdier design than
the similar function Wallstreet part.

Here's some photos culled from current eBay auctions. First a photo of
Wallstreet 12"/13" hinges:
<http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_1a31af9e1e4964bc96a25e08893b0388/
i-1.JPG>
     and a shot of a 14" hinge:
<http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_fa388701b68827d032c37572d4fb6ca3/
i-1.JPG>
     and a shot of Lombard hinges:
<http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_73728cde46b5e69dad7b980f0ef6df81/
i-1.JPG>
     for more eBay hinge sales, try this search:
<http://cq-search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&query=%28pwrbook%2Cp
owerbook%2C%22power+book%22%2Cpbook%29+hinge&from=R10&ht=1&tmp=2&currdisp=2
&itemtimedisp=0&combine=y&itf=0&st=2&SortProperty=MetaNewSort>

The play reflects wear inside the diecast housing allowing the
clutch-pack to move slightly. Also, I've noticed play on some Wallstreet
hinges where the steel hinge pin is captured inside the part of the
bracket attaching to the display housing. It doesn't take much play at
the clutch-pack-housing and/or hinge to equal alot of play at the
display's free edge.

Lubing the hinges may reduce the chances of failure, as reducing the
resistance to movement should lessen the stress on the hinge housing. I
mention that only because examining a pair of still-unbroken WS 14"
hinges I noticed one was substantially stiffer and 'grittier' feeling
than the other. A shot of some thick grease returned the gritty hinge to
smooth operation. Something like wheel bearing grease or CV joint grease
ought to do the trick (available at auto parts stores, for those who
don't know of what I write.)

I took a bunch of shots of Wallstreet/Lombard/Pismo hinges (WS both
broken and unbroken) with the idea of putting up an info page, I promise
to do that soon and will mention it here when I do.

hth,

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700