Puzzling in their duality, Ryan and Amie wrote:
Does anyone use WEP on their airport network?
I left MacStumbler running on the train on my way home from work a couple of months back, and it picked up 60-odd networks on the way through a variety of business and residential neighbourhoods. About 1/3 of them were WEP-protected, primarily the obviously business-related networks (bearing the names of local banks and TV stations, for example).
Personally, I leave mine open when I'm playing a game of Unreal Tournament (the network is actually called "UTserver" when that happens), but nobody has taken me up on the unspoken invitation to get shot at as of yet. I'm also thinking about sticking a bunch of promotional material (MP3, videos, etc.) for local musicians that I like in an open directory for whoever happens to stumble across it, but haven't tinkered around with the logistics of that kind of file-sharing yet. (It was stupidly easy to do on a Win98 home network, but I'm still getting used to this whole OS X thing, and only have the network up to play with intermittently in any event.)

-me