Mark,
My Wallstreet sat unused for a long period of time, and a good battery would no longer take a charge or show up in the control strip(OS 9). I zapped PRAM, reset Power Manager, and left "bad" battery in Wallstreet, shut down and plugged in to AC for a few days undisturbed. Battery now works fine. Worth a try.
Shawn
P.S. - Where did you find the ac/sound card for $4?