>> I recently purchased a new iBook, 40gig, 900mHz,640RAM. My Pismo kicked. I'm
>> using OSX and Office X (only the Word part). I've lots of questions.
>>
>> How do I get rid of these obnoxious edit-type pop-up menus in the midst of
>> text? I don't know what makes them occur when I drop the cursor into a word
>> or section of text. I've tried all the preferences and so forth, but without
>> success. Is this a Word X problem or can it be adjusted with the OSX?
>
> What are you talking about? I don't get any of those in Word.

My point exactly. They didn't occur with Word in Office 2001, but they do
with Office X, and I can't get them to cease.

Example List in a rectangular box:

Help

Cut
Copy
Paste (all three sometimes gray, sometimes one active)

Font
Paragraph
Bullets and Numbering
Define
Synonyms (with an arrow that opens to offered synonyms)
Hyperlink

I have to click out of the box for it to disappear. I can't detect why these
menus appear and I can't make them appear by clicking in the document, but
then, without warning, I'll click in a document and there it is.

Ah! I'm working in Page Layout on a book. Could this be the culprit? I'll
try other views and see if this happens. Even so, one would think that it
still could be turned off in Page Layout if I don't want it there, no?