On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 00:11, Edward Jackson wrote:
> > I think that all of this stems directly from the Mac culture itself.
>
> The Mac is a drastically less used, more expensive, and a slower
> computer (sorry guys....benchmarks vs reality).  Despite those huge

As a relative newcomer to the "mac side", I have not noticed much
difference wrt to speed.  In fact, I had a brand new top-of-the-line
Thinkpad next to one of the top-of-the-line Macs and the Mac blew
it right out of the water.  Websites, etc. loaded/worked much faster.

> marketing nightmare's many of us in the culture (as defined when you
> put down your hard earned $$ on a Mac) expect more than our constantly
> complaining Window's compadre.  The facts are hard...that those who buy
> Mac's fit one of three patterns....they make their living on a Mac,
> they want to make a living on a Mac, or they love the obviously
> superior OS.  For the first group, an upgrade is simply a necessity of

I would add just a bit of a twist on the these categories ... the fourth
being that we cannot put up with living in Bill Gate's computing Hell!
I converted my entire family over to iBooks/Powerbooks due to support
issues around the WinPieceofSh*t du jour.  Now I do not get support
questions while I am half way around the world on business.

> business.  For the second group, an upgrade is usually at a student
> discount brought to you by student loans.  For the third group, an
> upgrade (or rather 4 in 4 years) is almost as great of a financial
> strain as the damn computer itself.  Simply put....Mac user's spend a
> great deal of time talking about their Mac.  Bragging even.  And then

I would not paint myself as one of these.  Simply put, the machine
works, and works very well.  Also, the iPod <have 2 of these> and other
digital hub stuff just works!!  The real benefits of the Mac is that the
computer does not get in the way of being productive.  Period!

> they find that the $3000 they spent three years ago is now completely
> obsolete (even an old Dell runs WinDoze XP with minor hardware
> upgrades)...and well, that hurts.  Blame whomever you like, the pain is

I run Linux and other OSs, and there really is no comparisons here.
Win2K/WinXP, in my IMNSHO, ran much slower with MAJOR hardware
upgrades.  Linux, however, is pretty good on older hardware.

> still there......in my years as a #3 I often questioned just what the
> hell I was doing and why.  By the time I am able to afford a new
> powerbook they'll have G6's (if Moto and IBM ever kick it into gear).
> My Wallstreet, while still functional is OSX Jag, doesn't have
> Panther....can't have Panther.  Am I complaining?  At first I did.  At
> every chance.  Now I just grin and bear it....and the keyboard of the
> Wallstreet will get dusty from neglect and the three year old Dell with
> the inferior OS will be used more and more.  I feel a tad neglected,
> rejected even.....but it's all about money kids....Apple can't spend
> the next two years updating their OS to run on every computer made in
> the last 4 years....that's Microsoft's job.....and while producing an
> inferior OS, they still have 95% of the market.  Apple is blessed.  If
> they showed their customers 1/4 of the dedication their customer's
> showed them.....they might have a chance in this market.

I would have to agree here.  Apple could easily double their market
share if they actually spent a bit more time understanding how to treat
their customers <ever had to return/fix a machine?>.

I will continue to use my PB17 and will most likely be purchasing a PB12
and another iBook within the next year.  Why, because they fit me and my
family's computing needs.

-Bob-