Wayne Schneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I received the full settlement report from the lawyers. As a mac
>supporter, I threw the hole thing in the trash. Class action suits
>benefit the law offices that file more than the actually participants
>since they get there cut from the over-all settlement amount, or their
>high fees are paid on top of the settlement. These law offices
>regularly seek ways to design a class action and then lobby for
>participants.
>
>There are some legitimate suits filed, but most of the ones I come
>across are questionable if there was actually any wrong doing by the
>corporation they are seeking damages from. In many cases, it is easier
>and cheaper for the company to settle instead of fight the suit.
>
>I did not use OSX regularly on my Wallstreet, but purchased it with the
>desire to trial it and learn it at my own pace, using OS9 for actual
>work. I will not add to Apple's cost for this one, since, in the end,
>we all pay for it in higher costs to the company.

I believe all class action lawsuits have a procedure for affected
parties to comment on the lawsuit (and the proposed attorney's fees).
If you are asked to join a class action lawsuit (and if you're eligible
to join), and if you believe the suit is frivolous or without merit (or
the attorney's fees are too high) then you can submit a statement to
that affect to the court.

This is more effective than simply throwing it into the trash, because
in most class action suits your silence will simply be interpreted as
a failure to contact the (supposedly) injured party.  Of course, it
requires more effort as well; but if more people took this route then
I think more class action suits would be fought and, ultimately,
dismissed.

-Jeff    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
"You can't brew a premium lager with a kool-aid mentality."  --Harold Green
in _The_Red_Green_Show_