on 16/05/04 17:01, Zoltan at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well, after discovering that the cute 3D animated user switching effect
> doesn't work on my Pismo due to lack of VRAM I started to wonder. . .up
> to this point, I was under the impression that the only reason I would
> ever need more than 8 MEG VRAM was to play games.  Now computer
> developers are gearing up the requirements in the VRAM department just
> to run an OS.  Am I going to face any other limitations?  I'm currently
> running 10.3.3 and have a gig of RAM, a 30 gig HDD and a ton of other
> stuff like the scanner, burner, zip etc.  I was considering in the near
> future to upgrade my Pismo to a 550 MHZ G4 for my Photoshop Apps. .
> .but is this gonna be worth it?  I hate the idea that the most
> realiable Mac I ever had is going the way of the Dodo!  :(
>

> Hey here's an idea. . .anyone out there who might know of a way to
> invent a simple upgrade that will allow all Pismo users and for that
> matter Wallstreet and maybe even Lombard to upgrade their video ram?
> Maybe through the PC CARD slot or something?  Food for thought. . .

A VRAM upgrade will never be possible. The video card and the VRAM are part
of the motherboard. Too much trouble, although I'd like to see an upgrade.

These days, if you don't have 32MB of VRAM, you start feeling left over.
Still, OS runs fine with 8MB, but a few functions in OS X (like the desktop
pictures or the cube effect of multiple users) and almost all games now
require 32MB of VRAM...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

benchmark n.: [techspeak] An inaccurate measure of computer performance. "In
the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and
benchmarks." Well-known ones include Whetstone, Dhrystone, Rhealstone (see
h), the Gabriel LISP benchmarks (see gabriel), the SPECmark suite, and
LINPACK. See also machoflops, MIPS, smoke and mirrors.