Hey geoff,
let me start out by saying that i completely understand your frustration, I think that apple is changing from the company I knew and loved a decade ago-- but then again, that's because they're moving to the mass market. Any time a computer company has to put a warning on their website stating that users should not eat their product, such as the ipod shuffle, you know that they've started to market their products to a population that is a little less than technically inclined.

For all of that, applecare hasn't really changed. I just got an ibook, bought applecare for it, and it was 187.00 USD with my student discount. There was an issue with the keyboard, so they sent me a replacement, no problem. They've replaced my first gen ipod twice already, and I didn't even HAVE applecare on that. They took back and replaced parts on my G3 lombard nearly two years out of any sort of warranty without cost, they made a house call to replace my motherboard in my dual G4 quicksilver just barely out of warranty and with no cost.

--> Will they cover a cup of java sloshed into the keyboard? No, that was your fault for not remembering middle school science, and thinking that liquid and electronics go hand in hand.

--> Will they cover a laptop that's been dropped out of a moving car? Well, you can always try, but my guess is that kyle and his ilk will probably frown and ask again how it happened, just to hear it one more time.

I see your point about the update software, and while it would be nice to have CDs to distribute, I for one appreciate that apple doesn't manufacture such things, which would really be wasteful, since it's available online anyway. 100mb is a long download for sure, but my guess is that it'd be done in two days, much shorter than sending a CD via priority mail.

my suggestion is to lighten up a little bit and look at the whole pictures. you make it sound like a 14" screen shortage was premeditated or some sort of plan Steve Jobs came up with just to annoy you. Rest assured, they can't make screens appear out of the thin air, and making such things typically takes time.

Oh, and does apple sincerely monitor our lower end mac list? C'mon, and fess up if you're an apple 'spy'... (you're okay, kyle! : ) We've caught you reporting our secret messages back to apple ( ;

Anyway, take care and good luck.
-dyl ( =