> At 11:22 PM -0500 12/09/2005, Krow Magnum wrote:
> >On 12/9/05, macnifico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>It is permisible to sell a computer with the OS only. The rules do
> >>not specify that the OS should be the original one for the computer.
> >
> >Where did you find that ? The original OS is a license issue, not an
> >ebay issue. If the OS license is not being sold it is a copyright
> >violation.
>
> Pardon?
>
> All Macs are licensed for their original OS.  Period.  You cannot
> sell them without the license going with it.

The License goes with the OS. The OS is bundled with the Mac.
And you can if you keep the OS install CD that came with it. It's a
lot easier to pirate an OS from a CD than from a computer.

> Most PCs are licensed for their original copy of Windows.  Likewise,
> you cannot sell them without the license going with it.

Windows is licensed with hardware specifically and is totally
different than Mac OS license.

> IOW, there is no concept of "not being sold with" for that original license.
>
> >All of this is irrelevant anyway because you can put a Mac G3 or g4 on
> >eBay any day of the week loaded with OS X Panther or Tiger, Adobe,
> >Quark, etc..... with no disks and it will not be cancelled.
>
> Not true.  Adobe and MS (to take two examples I've been hit with)
> have both hired copyright police companies to watch eBay.  If you
> offer computers containing their products and no media & license,
> there is a good chance the auctions will be canceled.  And if you do
> it repeatedly, besides eBay suspension, you'll get a nice registered
> letter from the copyright holder's lawyers. :\

Wrong ! It's all over eBay.... No matter what the Law is, eBay lets it
slide. And whoever is supposed to be watching auctions is not doing
itheir job becasue I see it everyday.

> >I see it all the time and have filed complaints when they use the apps
> >as a selling point. Not one auction has been closed due to my
> >complaints.
>
> As appropriate.  It's not your copyright, therefore you have no legal
> standing to interfere with the auction.  IOW, when you see an
> infringing auction, it's nice to report it to eBay - but you really
> need to report it to the copyright owner or their legal agent if you
> expect any action to be taken.
>
> See eBay's help area for information on their Verified Rights Owner
> (VeRO) program.  aka the copyright police authorization rules.
>
> - Dan.

I wasn't arguing legality, just eBay's policy violations.....

Ok, just because I am not deemed "authorized" then it is legal and ok.
 So it's legal as long as eBay says it is and nobody gets caught. And
as long as eBay can make money on it.

eBay just covers their collective butts by what they do. The law is
the law and eBay is not a lawmaker, just a policy maker who claims to
do the proper thing but hides behind a disclaimer and having a user
agreement accepted.

I can find numerous violations of software copyright  laws all day
long on eBay. I confess it would be very difficult for eBay to
eliminate this problem but they ignore it and make money on it.

--
Ron

http://krowmagnum.4mg.com/