> Sharing the connection is not illegal.  It will violate the terms of
> service most likely though if you knowingly let them share it.  There
> is nothing that could get you arrested though.

    Expand your horizons a bit and consider what would truly be the worst
case scenario, IMHO.

    Someone else piggybacks on your connection and proceeds to download
child pornography or joins a chat room trying to set up meetings with
children and the folks with whom they are chatting are federal peace
officers trolling for such perverts.  (Again, IMHO, I am grateful that peace
officers are out there trying to ferret out the scum of the earth which is
what I consider such felons to be.)

    I can see you standing there at your door as the agents carry out your
entire computer system and everything associated with it as you weakly
protest:  "But...but...but, it wasn't me!  Had to be someone else using my
connection!"  Yeah, sure, they're going to believe you.  You'll get your
system back a year or two down the road when they are done with their case.
Not to mention what your neighbors will think of all the cop cars and
flashing lights outside your house/apartment.

    You do not want to be in this situation.  Lock that connection as tight
as a drum with the strongest password possible.

    Just good common sense.

    bob