I have used office 97, 2000, and now xp on my pc. I have open office
on my desktop as well as office xp. On my ibook I have office 2004 as
well as neo office. As far as microsoft software goes I would replace
any open source app for microsoft stuff. I really don't like ms office
on a mac but I use different apps depending on what I am doing. Since
most of the open source office apps integrate with ms office appsI
have not had any problems.

I think some of the open source stuff runs better on older macs G3's
and such and ms office is such a resource hog.

My two cents, I'm also lucky to have been able to get all of my
software from my days in college, when I was at Purdue Microsoft had a
deal that you were able to get any of their titles at 5.00

Cheers
Steve