on 01/02/06 20:44, Steve Peckey at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Its funny when I posted stuff on here about open source software I did
> not think it would be met with such strong opinions. Its almost like
> its a apple vs pc debate. I just posted because I would think that
> most of the users could utilize open source stuff without spend $$$ on
> software that they may use a few times a week. Even student that don't
> have a software program with their school would rather save the 200.00
> on an app if they can use a office suite that is free.

That's a very valid point. I remember 15 years ago, when I was working for
an Apple dealer, people were walking in the store and were asking for
Microsoft Word. After talking to them, most of the time, they would have
used maybe 10% of everything Word had to offer back them. There were cheaper
alternatives but people didn't know better. So, I think it's good that
someone mentions alternatives to the big gorilla of software. Bill Gates is
rich enough so all our money doesn't have to go in his pockets. I too run
Office 2004 on my Mac through an employee purchase program where I could get
any Microsoft software for $20. I would never pay $200 or even more for
Microsoft software, specially when you see how bad the performance is
because of the pseudo language they're using. But because I need friggin'
Outlook compatibility, I stuck with Entourage, which, actually is not too
bad when compare to the other apps...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

juggling eggs: vi. Keeping a lot of state in your head while modifying a
program. "Don't bother me now, I'm juggling eggs", means that an interrupt
is likely to result in the program's being scrambled. In the classic 1975
first-contact SF novel "The Mote in God's Eye", by Larry Niven and Jerry
Pournelle, an alien describes a very difficult task by saying "We juggle
priceless eggs in variable gravity." See also hack mode and on the gripping
hand.