At 10:31 AM +1100 02/21/2006, david_elmo wrote:
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Each browser keeps its archives in different formats.
Drives me nutz!  So I started printing web pages as PDF files.  It's
not dynamic, but at least you get the info saved in a format that's
usable "forever".

Printing them! You mean ink on paper? I'll be damned! Well, no need for this old fashioned sort of thing any more Dan.

Nonononono. You do the print command then select PDF from the little pop-up menu. That saves the page in its exact state as a PDF file on your HD.

Use Firefox or any Mozilla and they do the job properly. Save the files and you can drag the main .html page over to any browser (including IE) and you have the thing dynamic and all. It will be so for ever....

The problem with that is that you're saving the live representation of the page. If its content is driven by xml or java or javascript then it may not be the same next time you view it. In fact, it may not display at all if the code depends on cookies etc. I've run into this with a number of pages I'd saved with Mozilla last year.

- Dan.