I am a bit late to this discussion but wanted to add a couple of other navigation tips.

If you are in th Finder, whatever window is open you can type a letter and the window will jump to the first item that begins with that letter. thus if you have the Applications window open and there is a long list of items, you can simply hit the "U" on your keyboard which will jump to the first item that begins with U. If it is not the Utilites folder already, it is much easier to get to from that point.

Even easier, if you are in the Finder, hit Command-shift-a and the window will switch to the Applications folder. If you are in the Finder and want to go directly to the Utilities folder, hit Command-Shift-u.

If you are not in the Finder, I find it easiest to get to any open application (of which the Finder is one) by using the Command-Tab. Keep hitting tab while the command key is down and you can cycle through the open applications. You can also quit them and hide them while in this "mode."

Brian