From: dc <dbc...@verizon.net>
To: G-Group <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 11:53:11 -0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: hacking for a slimmer world

On Nov 15, 12:21 pm, Jesse <jesselorenstj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So what are the best drives and cards for scsi?

I agree with Dan, a SATA PCI card and 10K SATA (Raptor) drive is fast
and reusable in G5, MacPro, and PC machines. I do think SCSI drives
are cheaper right now. There are ATTO UL2x and UL3x cards for under
$25, 15K 36GB drives also around $25. They can also be reused in G5s
and other machines. The advantage of SCSI drives over IDE isn't so
much in the transfer speed as it is in the latency & seek/read/write
times. I don't have specific benchmarks now as I'm onto a MacPro, all
my SCSI machines are in storage (I probably should give them away).
But I've put fast SCSI drives in Macs from a 7200, beige G3, Smurf G3,
PCI G4, AGP G4s, etc. and they have always made noticable real world
speed improvement.