Hi Dark,

Agreed. I sincerely doubt any side-scroller could cover the whole of
Middle Earth unless a developer wanted to dedicate the rest of his
life to writing the game. For one thing you are limited to a 2d format
where the only directions are left, right, up, and down. There isn't
any north, south, east, and west so right there you couldn't lay out
the location of towns, rivers, woods, and other aspects of the world
in anything remotely realistic. About the best you could do is have a
linier progression where you start in Hobbiton, walk right until you
reach Buckleberrry Fairy,  continue right until you reach Riven Dale,
and so on. Its OK, but not very flexible since you only can continue
east with no opportunity to go north or south along your journey.

The other issue Charles probably hasn't considered is that of sounds.
If I am writing a roll playing game or text adventure I can certainly
get sounds for swords, axes, spears, as well as for rivers, farms,
woods, etc, but can use Sapi to describe everything that isn't audible
as well as give details of the world around you. With a side-scroller
or FPS style game I have to come up with a sound for every single
person, place, and thing in the game world. That would not only be
expensive but I think would be unnecessary to boot since there are
easier ways around this problem.

Plus as you said I think Charles has the wrong idea about what
constitutes a roll playing game in the first place. He is talking
about design issues that are more specific to straight up table top
roll playing like Dungeons and Dragons where it doesn't have to be
nearly that complex. The Eamon system, as you mentioned, is a lot more
realistic for something like this than anything else.

Cheers!