Hi Dark,

Lol! Yeah, I think Tolkien would be pretty surprised at such Dungeons
and Dragons type characters, because they were designed for a special
game system and not really to tell a story the way the characters in
LOTR were. None of the wizards in LOTR are strengthless wimps, and
none of the warriors are thick as a brick meet shields. :D

In any case I agree the main characters for  LOTR are really unsuited
for an RPG game. It would be better to create new and original
characters that tell their own story, choose their own adventure in
Middle Earth, and that through the course of their adventures meet
Aragon, Gandalf, and so on. There are two good reasons for this.

First, you can claim your game is fan fiction. You are not outright
basing it on Tolkien's works, but only using his world and characters
as a setting for your own story.

Second, you have the freedom to step outside of accepted cannon to
tell new stories and have new adventures not covered by the original
saga. Since this is a game I'd assume people wouldn't mind having some
new content that isn't strictly cannon, but sticks to cannon when and
where possible.