Hi.

one of my intrinsic problems with this upgrade business is to do with practical good and also practicality of how many computers one can actually own.

i do not actually have the space for more than one desktop, plus laptops have a shorter life generally. Virtual xp is always a solution next to a main os, but how well that runs I'm not sure over all.

As regards windows 7 generally however, one of my main issues with this debate is that programmers take a look at a new system and say "wow, look at the specs, look at the hardware, support for this that and the other etc"

Myself, i don't give a monkey's rear how much ram a computer has, what programs it runs what processor it has etc, it's all a question of what can I do with it. This is also wy i cryticize post xp windows and microsoft's over all approach to interface generally, since frankly having used windows 7 on several machines I do not agree with dallas point, and while classic shell might be an option, well why should I move from an interface I'm comfortable with, that I can personally customize to one I must jigger with in order to work? and that's not just in the programs either.

if there were hundreds of great new games which required windows 7, well I'd likely have a good reason to, but that is simply not the case, which is quite ironic given that I did make a similar switch from windows 98 to xp back in 2002 for precisely that reason.

From a pure usability perspective, mac is probably a better option than post
xp windows at the moment, however legacy support is a severe issue, particularly with developers who continue to essentially write for xp, and even more specifically when there are comparatively few audio games on mac.

while I do appreciate the issues that developers have, at the same time there is an element of give and take needed I think, which is exactly why I suggested developers aide in this situation, eg, by writing a guide on virtual xp emulation with download for mac and windows 7, for trying to do something about dosbox and vb6 etc, since at least for some people sticking with xp it is a bit more than simple bloodymindedness, and if developers do indeed want more people to shift to newer os so that they can take advantage of all this stuff, maybe this is something that they can help with.

Beware the grue!