Hi Dark,

Snip
Virtual XP is always a solution next to a main os, but how well that
runs I'm not sure over all.
End Snip

Well, unfortunately that all depends on how much CPU power and memory
you have to spare for a secondary OS. Generally running XP in a
virtual machine will runn a bit slower than natively and that means
games may not perform as well on that virtual machine. I have heard of
cases where input and graphics lag so it can be problematic. Still, if
you really can't afford the space for a secondary machine then its
about the best you can do when it comes to running older software on a
modern PC.

Snip
As regards windows 7 generally however, one of my main issues with
this debate is that programmers take a look at a new system and say
"wow, look at the specs, look at the hardware, support for this that
and the other etc"
End Snip

Maybe some programmers look at it that way, but many professional
developers, including myself, do not look at new versions of Windows
that way. For most people I know it is viewed from the perspective of
sustained compatibility. What do we have to do in order to make sure
what we write today will still be compatible on the next generation
OS? What libraries will be removed, deprecated, or replaced on the new
version of Windows? What features can we use to make our software
better for new customers?

The point I am getting at is its not about looking at a new OS and
looking strictly at specs, hardware, or anything like that. While
those things will certainly influence a developers decisions it isn't
the whole story. There is more to it than you indicate in your
message.

Snip
Well why should I move from an interface I'm comfortable with, that I
can personally customize to one I must jigger with in order to work?
End Snip

Well, how long do you think Windows XP is going to last? Do you see
yourself 30 years from now still running a computer made in 2005 with
Windows XP on it?

The point Dallas and I have been making is that weather you like the
new interface or not it doesn't matter in the long run. We can argue
back and forth until the end of time, but it won't change a thing.
Sooner or later the computers you have will break down, parts will be
hard to obtain, and new copies of XP will not be available. Weather
that day comes ten, fifteen, or twenty years down the road you will
probably end up buying anew computer running something other than XP
and you'll just have to accept the new interface regardless if you
like it or not.

Snip
while I do appreciate the issues that developers have, at the same
time there is an element of give and take needed I think, which is
exactly why I suggested developers aide in this situation, eg, by
writing a guide on virtual xp emulation with download for mac and
windows 7, for trying to do something about dosbox and vb6 etc, since
at least for some people sticking with xp it is a bit more than simple
bloodymindedness, and if developers do indeed want more people to
shift to newer os so that they can take advantage of all this stuff,
maybe this is something that they can help with.
End Snip

Well, to be fair there is already a lot of documentation and tutorials
on how to do this already. VMWare the company that produces VMWare
Player, Fusion, and Workstation already have indepth guides on setting
up and running virtual machines. I don't know that any more
documentation is necessary and if so what we could add to what is
already there. Plus while it is not strictly legal it is possible to
download ready made virtual machines of XP and all you need do is
extract them, run VMWare Player, and tell it to boot the new virtual
machine you just installed. When you here the XP start sound you can
then install Jaws, MVDA, Supernova, or whatever screen reader you
want. So its not as complex as you might think.