Hi Tom.

One question. If this is the case, how come on my windows xp machine, bought in 2008, I can run somftware written for dos in 1979? I'm afraid your arguement that "all systems do this" just doesn't make that sort of sense. Equally, if it is a case of simply keeping these old dependencies around, why doesn't microsoft offer them free for downloadd and installation for those who want them but not for those who don't? Same goes for emulators.

Also, I do not accept any arguements about saving time and saving money from the richest company in the world who pay their employees in third world countries less than one penny an hour, microsoft frankly does! have the money to do whatever the heck they want,, indeed I am told that a virtual xp emulator is available from mcirsofot's own site precisely because they failed to take into account how much vested interest people had in xp, but wanted to force everyone to upgrade as you yourself described earlier, indeed a standad cryticism of much of the technology industry from car design to computing is that newer doesn't necessarily mean better, often it just means whatever can be sold.

in terms of smoothness and running, well once again this I think comes down to a technical, vs utilitarian debate. If a computer won't do what I want it to do, why should I care about it's efficiency or speed? i'd much rather have a slightly slower computer that does what I want than a super fast technically better model that does not, case in point, this is why I still have a snes but haven't bought any more modern consoles, simply because of game availability, ---- though as an interesting fact even if I did! buy a modern console I could still get and play all my old games since companies like Nintendo and Sega have realized that people don't appreciate losing out on what they used to have and that they themselves can actually make money supporting this.

Beware the Grue!