Dark sadly I know a lot of sighted games that still run from the cd or need the cd for varification when run so I think while a lot don't that this seems to be an industry practice rather than a minority one.
I don't care for this either.
it puts extra ware on the drive and disks, and for a lot of programs that do it, it is not usually needed unless some files are not installed on the system.
Silent steel does this but you can get round it easily enough.
I have known friends that have brought games.
That they have cracked just to avoid running off the cd, because they hate it so much.
I still know modern games that still need the cd.
I do think this is being abused to much.
In the old days 1995 and earlier I realise why that was but with all the power we have now we shouldn't need to run off a disk or anything like that at all, there is no real excuse.