Hi Sean,
Generally speaking converting a complete 3D environment to audio is
difficult. However, in the case where most of the game is 2D but you
need 3D for an aircraft is just make the aircraft 2D, and place in the
game variables to see if the gun is up, level, or down. that way even
though it is technically on the same level as the player, you trick the
player into believing it is 3D by forcing them to have the gun in the up
position when they aim and fire on the aircraft. That basically
simulates 3D while maintaining a 2D engine.