Hi Will,
Not true. There are all kinds of areas where randomization can be used
in side-scrollers. The reason it wasn't used in the Montezuma's Revenge
game engine is simply that Michael Feir, Charles, and a few  others
wanted the game to be along the lines of the Atari classic.
Even if a snake is staticly placed in room x there are ways to make your
encounter more challenging. One the developer can make the snake mor
agressive and combat oriented. Two, the developer can use random hit
point damage and defense to make the battle more random and realistic.
Three, the developer might use a random generator to have the monster
appear or not appear in that room at all per game.
Currently, I am working on a totally new collection of monsters for the
new side-scroller. These new monsters won't be as stupid as the
Montezuma's Revenge monsters were. The Monte monsters basicly moved back
and forth and attacked if you were in range. They were basically passive
until you were in range. The new monsters will be more agressive. The
second you enter a room with monsters in it they will  start attacking
you with what ever weapon they have. No single swing from a sword or
shot from your gun will kill them. It will be a battle. There are
different weapons being introduced into the game and some weapons will
be more effective than others.