From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 12:48 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] BGT and Screen Reader API's

Hi Liam,

Yes, but there are technical considerations here. You know as well as
I do that Jaws is infamously problematic with games using DirectX.
Accessible game developers have been telling their customers for years
to unload their screen reader or put it to sleep when running game x.
That's because they know Jaws especially causes games to lock up and
doesn't work well with DirectInput. Now, why would a developer turn
around and try to use the Jaws API for speech output knowing full well
that combo is technically going to be a desaster. I don't know how
many VI users out there use Jaws, who don't know a thing about
programming, want support for Jaws built in it still doesn't make it
the right thing to do from a stability and best practices point of
view. For that reason I'm firmly against adding direct support for
Jaws in my games. The only way I might even consider such a thing is
if every single Jaws user called up Freedom Science Fiction and
screamed at them to fix their piece of junk screen reader.

Cheers!