I'm not sure that's necessarily true Bryan.

I agree that judgement day was a great achievement, but certainly now if someone started working on another space invaders game I'd be rather concerned how unique they could make it, where as if someone started on another type of game we have fewer examples of I'd be less concerned.

Suppose for instance someone decided to make another tank Driving game. There is a lot they could stick in, they could for instance make combat a litle more strategic than action orientated with angle calculation and position as in Scorched earth, they could set it in the future and have completely different weapons like lasers and more missiles, or they could even make it a one on one battle game in which you needed to blow up the enemy tank where you had choices of what tank to play as with each having strengths and weaknesses like beat em up characters, ---- as the game Cyber sled did.

Heck, even if they just made the gameplay the same as Gma tank commander, they could probably stil! make the game a unique experience by including different levels to explore and different enemies in the game.

Where as a space invaders game, however differently you made the enemies, or another traditional game we have many examples of like blackjack or solitare would need to have something pretty unique about it in order to stand out.

Beware the grue!