Hi Shaun,

No, actually the proper tools and languages have always been their,
but a lot of amateur self-taught audio game devs chose to take the
path of least resistance when it came to programming. Languages like
AutoIt and Visual Basic, for instance, are easy to learn and use so
they decided to learn and use those rather than something like C++.
Had they chosen to learn and use something like C++, which is the
industry standard, they would have had a language and more long term
development platform to work with. They could have fairly easily
updated the dependencies to newer DirectX libraries, recompiled the
games for say 64-bit platforms, and maintained the code over a long
period of time. However, that's not what happened.

I don't think we should blame them too much though. After all, Visual
Basic 6 was widely marketed in the 90's as the language for amateur
developers, an intro to programming, and there for a while there were
a few books being published how to do indi game development using VB
6. It was quick, it was fairly easy, and nobody was aware of the fact
by 2008 Microsoft would scrap Visual Basic 6 for the .Net language
sweit of languages. In short, those developers like Jim Kitchen, GMA,
Draconis, etc who had based all their games on Visual Basic 6 had the
rug rudely pulled out from under them as well as several indi
mainstream game developers too.

Anyway, the point i wanted to make is that we did have the tools and
languages available. They always have been available to us. There was
never any need to use Visual Basic 6, AutoIt, etc but that's what
people chose because of convenience. Now, we are paying for that lack
of industry standardization and forethought as there are some issues
running VB 6 apps on Windows 7, and the problem is likely to get worse
instead of better as time goes on. Had those devs used industry
standards like C++, DirectX 8, etc we probably wouldn't be in this
situation today as C++ apps are designed for long term support and
development.