Hi Dark,

Sure. Although, keep in mind we are also looking at this from a purely
blind-centric mindset. I agree that usually it isn't necessary for
someone writing a program for themselves, code they have no intention
of sharing, to just forget about professional standards in formatting
whatever. If we can't see it the entire concept of properly formatting
code doesn't always serve us to the same purpose it does a sighted
user.

That said, I'm sure if I was fully sighted, programming software, then
I'd appreciate formatting more because I could glance at my screen and
see exactly at what scope or level I am in my program.I could actually
use formatting as a programming aid/tool and therefore it would have
some personal use to me. Where as it is right now I have to enable the
speaking of tab indentions to check if my coding is properly formatted
rather than checking my formatting to the purpose it is suppose to
serve in the first place.

Which is similar to your discussion of your thesis. At this point you
personally have no need for special formatting because Hal will read
everything the same weather it looks professionally written or is
extremely sloppy.  However, for a sighted user its a different
experience because they expect titles to be centered, paragraphs to be
indented, and a double line break between paragraphs because its
easier to read and locate text with a single glance.

 All I am really saying here is the way we handle printed text and a
sighted person handles that same printed text is different. A sighted
person's eye is drawn to centered text where if we want to find the
next chapter we just use a find command. An extra line break between
paragraphs makes it easier to visually skip between paragraphs at a
glance where when using screen readers it doesn't really make a
difference if there is a line break there or not. 'We, as blind users,
often give up or reject things like visual formatting simply because
it has no application or use to us personally. We are resigned to
formatting if and when we have to turn it into our professor, boss, or
someone else who requires that you dot all your i's and cross all your
t's so to speak.

Cheers!