hi Dark,

Yes, I see that. I've been doing some reading of Spanish history and
while I knew who Isabella and Philip were I really had no idea of the
history leading up to the exploration of the Americas. I didn't know,
for example, that Philip and Isabella married to unite the two most
powerful Catholic kingdoms in order to unite Spain under one crown and
that the Muslims were finally defeated in 1492. Of course, that was
the same year Columbus set sail.  I had no idea how much power and
influence Spain had in Europe during the 1500's because all American
history teachers wanted to discuss is what was happening in the
western hemisphere. Now, I'm happily filling in the gaps in my
knowledge and realizing exactly how little detail was spent on the big
picture so to speak.

For example, if we talk about the U.S. War of 1812 that's all American
history will talk about. They totally ignore the fact that one reason
Britain didn't send all the red coats in to smash us flat is they were
primarily involved in the Napoleonic Wars. Britain was fighting two
wars at the same time, and we were the lesser of two evils. That
naturally worked to our advantage because while Britain was
concentrating on the French we were free to give you a thrashing in
our own backyard. As poorly as the war started off we almost got
smashed flat anyway and the history books like to ignore those facts.

Same goes for Spain in the 1400's and 1500's. American historians seem
not to care why the Spanish were conquering Central and South America
but merely the fact that they did so. Its appalling.

Cheers!