confuse.c:1083: `LC_CTYPE' undeclared (first use in this function)

------
Yemi

On Dec 6, 2004, at 3:01 PM, Adesanya, Adeyemi wrote:

Hi Matt.

I'll take a look at your 2.6.0 snapshot and see if I can port my spoofing mods. Yes, I think this feature should be in 2.6.0 (probably far too late for 2.5.8).

BTW, can you patch 2.5.8 so gmond will unicast to multiple channels? I'm guessing it should be straightforward....I used this feature in one of your snapshots before.

----
Yemi

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Massie [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 2:46 AM
To: Adesanya, Adeyemi
Cc: ganglia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net; Wachsmann, Alf
Subject: Re: [Ganglia-developers] Host spoofing for SNMP

yemi et al-

i'm working to finishing up moving code into the 2.6.0
release that will address this problem and others.  if you do
a "cvs update" you'll see significant code changes which i'll
address very soon.  i think allowing ganglia components to
speak on behalf of other devices is an important feature
(your SNMP case is the perfect example of why).  we'll get
that in there.

there is a snapshot at
http://matt-massie.com/ganglia/ganglia-monitor-core-2.6.0.2004
12051814.tar.gz

this snapshot is not complete but if you look at
./gmond/gmond.c you'll get a feel for what i'm doing.

more details soon
-matt

Adesanya, Adeyemi wrote:
For some time now I've wanted to implement some kind of
mechanism that would allow me to transmit metric information
by proxy - that is send data from one host on behalf of
another. The reason for this is that I would like to monitor
'black box' network devices that can only be accessed via
SNMP. NetApp file servers are a good example.

Well I spent some time looking at the ganglia 2.5.x code
last week and figured out how incoming XDR packets are
translated. What I came up with is a host spoofing modification.

If a user-defined (sent via gmetric) metric name is
qualified with a valid IP address, I use this address to
identify the source host instead of getting this information
from the incoming packet:

gmetric --name 123.123.123.123:temperature --value `cputemp` --type
int16 --units Celcius

Will cause listening gmond processes to insert this metric
(temperature) under the host that matches
123.123.123.123 .

I have also tweaked gmetric to send a spoof heartbeat
message for the
metric "--name 123.123.123.123:heartbeat"

This is allow me to keep track of when my SNMP devices are
up or down.

What do you think? The interface is pretty clumsy right now
but it does work. I'm definetly concerned about the potential
for abuse so I think some control for restricting it's use is wise.

----
Yemi

PGP fingerprint 'A7C2 3C2F 8445 AD3C 135E F40B 242A 5984 ACBC 91D3'

    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
       temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
   --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759