Steven,

 Yemi did not send his code, nor did he open a bug assigned to me.
Seems he is still working on it.

 There is another thing that I would like to have. I want to add a
user-specified hostname to the XML. The problem is that on some
machines with multiple NICs and HA/failover software the name of the
machine may change in case of a failover event. What I would like to
see is a GNAME (maybe SNAME :-)in the HOST part of the XML than can be
set to an arbtrary string. If set, "gmetad" would use it for the RRD
database. If not set, it would fall back to NAME.

 I am not sure whether adding a field to the HOST XML would break
backwards compatibility. Any ideas/comments?

 Another idea would be to use Yemis approach and use his spoofing stuff
to set only the name, but leave the detection of the IP on automatic.
Something like:

IP:NAME would spoof both
:NAME would only spoof the name

 Yemi?